Today’s post is all about smelling good. A pretty touchy subject. Something nobody really wants to talk about. But hey – we’re all human. So let’s get cracking!
Who doesn’t have these situations in life, where we need additional protection against sweat and body odor. Doesn’t matter if you’re hitting the gym or heading to an important meeting, as soon as we start sweating, it can turn into an uncomfortable situation very fast. It’s an unpleasant topic, but can / should not be ignored. That’s exactly why choosing the right product is just as important as using it regularly.
People are normally looking for long lasting protection and a decent smell. But why do mainstream products always come along with several toxins?
Well, not always… meanwhile, lots of awesome, cruelty-free and vegan products are commercially available.
Let’s cover some facts first:
- FYI: Antiperspirants are not Deodorants. Antiperspirants prevent you from sweating by simply blocking your perspiratory glands, Deodorants allow perspiration but block bad odor by killing the bacteria which causes the smell. Allowing your body to sweat is purely natural, so blocking it by using Antiperspirants is not recommended and can cause serious skin irritations. Remember that every single chemical which is applied on to our skin can enter the bloodstream directly.
- Next up: Ingredients such as aluminum zirconium, aluminum chloride or aluminum salts. Yeah, nowadays aluminum is quite a deal breaker for lots of people. And why is that? Several studies have shown, that aluminum compounds are toxic to the body and directly associated with a variety of health issues like Alzheimer’s, breast cancer, bone disorders and kidney problems.
- Do the big cosmetic companies really test their Deodorants and Antiperspirants on animals? Yes, they do. Because animals are mostly missing perspiratory glands, it could be generally asumed, that many animal species aren’t interesting for these companies to test their products on. Guess what! They do it anyway… On rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, cats, dogs and chimpanzees. To prevent animal testing, keep an eye on the products you’re buying and check that they never were tested on any animals (except human volunteer testers).
- What a prejudice: Naturally based deodorants are not protective and smell weird… Honestly, we hear things like this a lot. But as it is with most of the “unusual”, alternative and new products, people are always sceptic at first. But as soon as they recognize, that you aren’t smelly throughout the whole day and they don’t find any sweat stains, they’re suddenly interested and want to know where to buy it and so on.
- Support the small businesses – large ones normally only work for profit. Profits first, bonus second. It is simply a fact that they do not care about the health of their customer / consumer, the environment, animals nor sustainability at all.
It took us quite a while to find a perfect working product which in addition smells the way we like it. Antiperspirants were never considered an option for us. It is just natural, giving our bodies the possibility to sweat and regulate its temperature by doing so. Every single part of our body is somehow connected to a certain function and was perfected throughout the evolution for thousands of years.
After trying lots of different natural cosmetic products, we found some which work just perfectly for us, so we made it our favorite brand: Soapwalla.
Soapwalla was born in founder Rachel Winard’s NYC kitchen one evening, after months of unsuccessfully searching for products that wouldn’t aggravate Rachel’s sensitive skin issues caused by systemic lupus, a chronic autoimmune condition that almost always affects the skin.
“The skin is our largest organ and for it to function at its best, we must feed it wholesome ingredients. If I refuse to put something in my body, I don’t want to put it on my body.”
We couldn’t agree more. All their products are pure, effective, unisex and vegan. Everything is small batched and made by hand in Brooklyn, NY. They only use sustainable, organically grown and edible ingredients, and don’t use questionable additives such as sodium lauryl sulfate parabens, phthalates, aluminum chloride, petrochemical byproducts, or other synthetic ingredients.
Our “tower of beauty” consists of:
Activated carbon removes dirt residues, excess oil and bacteria. Lycopodium absorbs excess moisture and naturally deodorizes the skin. Shea butter and jojoba nourish smooth the skin. Cajeput and Palmarosa have antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial properties. Lemongrass leaves a great feeling of freshness.
All different Soap Bars are designed to thoroughly cleanse and nourish even the most sensitive skin. It is a perfect shaving bar and facial cleanser also, so it’s ideal for a happy and healthy skin.
Soapwalla calls it THE BALM for a reason, so let’s let them quote this amazing product:
“This repair balm is all you need to rejuvenate and revitalize your skin. Moringa and prickly pear seed oils calm, condition and hydrate the skin. Arnica soothes and minimizes the appearance of bruising. Horse chestnutis historically used to improve the appearance of varicose veins. St. John’s wort, blue tansy and frankincense refresh and soften skin, while creating an intoxicating scent.”
All Lip Balm’s provides serious protection with Fair Trade and organic ingredients. Shea butter and rosehip seed oil provide unparalleled protection from the elements. This Lip Balm stays put with a neutral taste, won’t leave any waxy residue and effectively moisturize your lips for hours.
All products are, of course, never ever tested on animals. At the end of the day, it should all be about your health, excellent product quality and a great customers experience and not mass quantity and profit.
Other vegan, cruelty free cosmetic brands:
Sources: Soapwall Global healing center Nativecos